Friday, April 19, 2013

Chapter - 2 (...A Destined Love...)


Chapter – 2

Third semester had started and I became a senior student. College life stories too had begun piling up, and every new day brought a new story. Along with felicities some perturbation came and the most horrible one was the subject of Digital Electronics. It was almost a nightmare. I remembered my first year’s days where I had been continuously hunted by Physics and now this electronics, I thought, would certainly take my life away. And, while the most happening semester was on run, in the back of my head I was looking for it to end, since it would bring one more chance to see her for six days. Until end of semester, electronics succeeded in breaking up almost all digital connection to my brain and when I read the exam schedule at college notice board it felt like a final assault. All connection to brain felt numb and at the center of my chest a pain oozed out. University had decided on changing examination center for our college. Certainly, I wasn’t going to see her this time, however reminisce of her face still felt fresh in my eyes. This separation mattered to me, but not much since I knew that this would happen someday. And, the privilege that destiny showered at me would be stopped some days as nowhere we were meant for each other, we had no match.
With time dust began to accumulate on my memories but she remained there, under it as though secured a place for herself. Third semester gone, fourth semester gone, fifth semester gone without seeing her, and I convinced myself that it was just an attraction which had reached its end and nothing more remained, not even a thought worth thinking. At the start of sixth semester life was playing a different music. All good times slowly began to vanish and tension about future decided to replace it. I had very little options in my hand hence I began looking for job in Call centers despite being good in technical. But there, I got no luck since my English speaking was as broken as heart of any lover on this mighty earth. Soon from a friend of mine I got to know that for the first time TCS was conducting campus recruitment drive for science and computer graduates. For what profile, I asked. Technology profile, he replied. I felt god has listened to my plea. I went to that drive but in second round of selection they showed me door - I was rejected. With dashed hopes I went back to my hostel. Three more big companies conducted campus drive and every time I was shown door. Hopes were at all time low and then the news about Infosys coming for campus recruitment drive reached my ears. I collected myself and started preparing for it. Within I had a strange hope that this time I would see my name in the final selection’s list.
On the day of written test, I got into argument with an HR executive. He had accused me of not being eligible to sit for technology written test since I was student of Commerce subject in 12th Std. As I argued more soon one of his mate or perhaps a senior, not sure, appeared in hall and asked about the fuss. He explained him the matter, in return this new guy asked me to present my all original mark sheets and certificate. I opened my folder and presented him each and every certificate. For a couple of minutes he went through them and then said, “let this guy fight the exam, if he doesn’t have what it takes then automatically he would be out and please start the examination. Don’t delay it any further, we are running short on time.” I thanked him and appeared for written test. An hour after the written test was over the same HR appeared in hall with shortlist in hand. He announced names of all candidates who had been selected for interview. Watchfully, I listened to every name he announced, and waited impatiently for my name. With every name being proclaimed my heart went towards dark deep bottom of despair and occasionally came to surface to get besieged gasp of hope. List attained almost its end, I closed my eyes in disappointment and then suddenly I heard my name being announced by HR while folding the list and keeping in the pocket of his shirt. Mine was last name in it. At once, my eyes had gone wide open, and soul felt as though swimming at the surface of ocean of hope and contentment. Two days later was the scheduled date of interview.
After two days of incessant preparation I was at the interview venue around 8 O’clock. It was month mid January and winter was at its peak. I wore my worst jacket along with a borrowed tie that dangled around the neck. All the aspirants were asked to sit in a hall and wait for their turn. Sitting at the back bench I looked around. Everyone who were present in the hall were trying to converse in English with each other as though practicing for interview. Their hand and facial gesture seemed as though they were not the people I knew. Their behavior felt so weird. Sometimes I laughed at them and other times felt a surge of awe from inside. They were at least trying their best, I understood this very fact, but simultaneously seemed that it’s fake and artificial.
While I wondered about others someone called my name, I looked into its direction. At the door someone stood there and his eyes seeking me everywhere in the hall. I raised my right hand and stood up. He asked me to follow him. When we reached in corridor at first floor, he asked me to sit on a bench placed by the wall and wait for a candidate to walk out from a cabin that was almost 10 yards away, vertically. After he left me alone, I sat down and began drawing heavy breathes to control the prevailed anxiety in me. My left leg held a ceaseless slight motion showing my level of nervousness. Soon someone caught my attention who was sitting on a similar bench at the opposite side in corridor. Her eyes were grounded, however I still recognized the face. She was the same girl whom I used to watch in first and second semester exams. My anxiety vanished and ceaseless motion held by my left leg too departed. I felt relieved and amazed but soon the tension of interview came over and I draw my sight from her to my resume and certificate folder. In those moments, interview was much more important than anything in this world. When I was satisfied with the arrangement of my certificates and resume I looked up in her direction but she was not there. She disappeared. For an instance, it all felt like an illusion. I shook my head and looked in the direction of cabin, someone just walked out. I knew it was my turn. I stood up and walked towards cabin while counting each step I took.
An hour later, I found myself standing at the entrance of waiting hall. I looked for and found her sitting somewhere in the middle row. Quickly I moved and grabbed a seat in a row behind and watched her from the close distance for the first time. I watched her every move. I watched her golden hairs and displaced locks. She wore a jacket, Patiala suit and her enticing face had a touch of pink. We all were waiting for the final shortlist which was going to decide the fate of our future. Somewhere in the noon, a team of HR entered the waiting hall indicated that wait was eventually over and they had sealed the fate of few lucky ones. Like written test, they started calling names of who all had got the job. I might get to know her name here, I thought, if in case she had her name in the list. At every female name, they called out, I closely watched her for reaction but it didn’t come. Soon I realized that lot of names had already been called out and along with her name mine was also missing. This compelled my focus to take a shift and now I paid attention so that I wouldn’t miss at least my name. List again almost reached its end, my name was still missing and the same story got repeated. My name was again last in the list. Moment the name reached my ears, a rush of rejoices swept over me. I felt as though I achieved something extraordinary in my ordinary life. I plunged at a friend who stood beside me to hug. After post-recruitment talk was over, where they asked us to have all the subjects clear at the end of final year and in case if we flunked in any of subjects then the job offer would be held void, I moved out from the hall and called my mom to give her the good news. Now while I was talking to my mom I suddenly remembered her and this very thought of her made me to hang up the phone. I ran towards parking lot with the hope to see her since I knew which Activa she drove. Unfortunately she wasn’t there; she had vanished like dew vanishes from soft green grass in any winter morning.
That day our path again crossed after so long, and got separated like complete strangers. Destiny staged a chance to know indeed a chance to see her from this close. I couldn’t share a word with her but that day my heart had gone a long way in her search. Had no glimmer, if she was the one for me but surely she was the one of her kind. That day, if angels would have seen her from my eyes then beyond doubt they had desperately urged for human life instead of being angel.



To Be Continued....(Chapter -3...Coming Soon)


1. Read Preface

No comments:

Post a Comment