Saturday, July 25, 2015

Storm - Story of an Island

Gone by a long time since I have written anything and during that time life too had passed through a roaring storm – a storm one can’t see nearing but realizes only when he is caught in it. Such a storm it was, I couldn’t perceive when and how it crept in and begun to shake everything that had any belongingness to my life. Strange it was, though, the gravity and the force by which it was driven, when I realized, it was too late. All lifelong, the banks I have had built all around the island were consumed by it and caused me to recede. Water didn’t flood in, as though Ocean was not in hurry to gulp the island, as though it just wanted to play the game of truth and dare, as though it was not going to punish me by making me drown but by keeping alive causing my conscious to realize everything that I have done but not realized – The biggest of all punishments.

After the banks gave away I imagined the storm to swiftly flood the island and I would drown in it without much fear and pain – an easy escape - since it would be so sudden as though a blink, for one moment it’s dusk and another it’s dawn. However,any expectation of having relaxation in my punishment would at once qualify for a sin and the storm was a wrath driven by order not feelings. It was an order that was determined to put my life in order - it will put some weight into my light character, it will give some more strength to my weak will, it will taut my ever shaky knees, it will harden my soft sole so that I can set off for a journey I am afraid to take, it will clear the sight of my glazed eyes so that I can hold on to a vision.

Storms usually take things away- they are the snatchers and destroyers not givers and builders.

A man can recreate anything, even from the ashes, but he can’t recreate an incinerated relationship, he can’t rebuild a ravaged heart, he can’t find the same lost love again – he has to live the rest of his life with a vision that can’t be carried out no matter if he gives away his entire life for it. Perhaps, that’s been the reason behind why every man on earth dies with some remorse. Huh, now I feel it’s true that humans are the cursed creation of God, not blessed. No animal ever asks for any kind of blessing, it’s the Adam who wants it all the time.

When storm ended I found myself receded to the point beyond which there was nothing but abyss. Sun was still not to be found anytime sooner and clouds had turned grey from black.   Water retreated to the point where once I had my banks built. Nothing to be found now, as though the flood that came along with storm had gulped everything, left behind only their signatures as reminder to say yes, there lived a world here.

Night was silently sitting with me at the shoreline and together we saw two beautiful figures appearing from the ocean. One carried a perpetual smile on lips introduced herself as Hope and other carried a gloom of ocean in eyes acquainted with the name Despair. Now they live with me as my mistresses, I have given my nights to Despair and days to Hope. They don’t fight; they have just divided me equally. Despair makes me recall what I have lost and can’t have ever again; while Hope makes me believe what else I can have in life.

Now the ravaged part of the island is seen by Despair. Ever since, she had forbidden the Time to move past. She froze the time by force and that protects the signatures of the world that once lived. All night long she roams the frozen world and weeps by each grave, kisses headstones. She has sworn in to keep it what is left, though nothing is left behind by the storm.

However, away from the old one, Hope negotiated a new island from the ocean and began constructing banks around it for stormy days - this time a lot sturdier than before. She also met the Time and induced it to move swiftly so that the garden of flowers she had planted would nurture quickly. She erected structures where the new relationships would reside and at the same time new restrictions and rules were also put in place to minimize or avoid destruction in stormy days. She employed new feelings in the service of new relationships. Trust has been taught a new lesson of being more prudent and she planted a tall tree of wisdom that can sense storms at the far distances.

Image : Courtesy to Google search.

No comments:

Post a Comment