Monday, January 26, 2015

John & Jennie... A Tale of Love

“John…John…John… Twenty years have gone by since I last saw you and here you are still carrying the same face, not even the expression of your smile has changed a bit, except few wrinkles here and there that I am sure you must have accepted as a gift from passed by times.” said Jennie, in her usual way in which she used to address John with slight scorn 20 years.

It was time to close the bar, and Jennie, preparing to call it a day when John walked in. There were not many people around, except the most loyal ones, waiting to empty the last glass of their favorite drink, for the night.

“For you too life hasn’t changed a bit except the age. You are still working the same bar,” said John, putting his forearm at the counter which is now not as strong as it was used to be back then.
“Well, things have changed for me John, I own this bar just like I used to own my life back then and now,” said Jennie with jitter while holding a bottle of Bourbon in one hand and putting an empty glass by his resting forearm by another hand and continued, “Has time and life succeeded in changing your taste?”

“Naah, still like the same old taste, and you?” answered John while directing the same question to her and looked at intently as if trying to read what she wouldn’t say but mean it.
“You never knew my taste then and you aren’t here to embrace it now. So gulp you Bourbon and start walking in the direction of EXIT and yeah, for the old time sake the drink is on the house,” said Jennie and looked at him. He drank it in a single shot greedily and she continued, “You still have the same thirst for bourbon like old days.”

He laid the empty glass before her in a way as though asking her to fill it again and waited while looking into her eyes, seeking to read her heart through them. She filled his glass, set the half-empty bottle side, leaned towards him a little and said, “Why John…Why…Why am I not surprised having you here after 20 years? I don’t owe you anything, what on earth has compelled you to make this journey back in time. Look around, this small town doesn’t need you anymore, now you being here don’t make any difference to their lives. They have all forgotten you.”

“Have you?” asked John while seeking to touch the fingers of her hand that laid on counter by the side of his filled glass of Bourbon and she fetched it as soon as she sensed the swift movement in his hand.

“20 years ago the moment you walked out from that door that night, yes I have, until the moment you didn’t walk in from that door again. That night I had a life to give you, but tonight I don’t have anything except your Bourbon to give you. So, this time, again you would gulp it greedily in your signature style and walk the fuck out of this bar,” said Jennie pointing at the glass that neither she nor he looking at, but each other with blink-less eyes.

“Jennie… Jennie… Jennie” John repeated her name in affection as if something had just come over from the dark alley of past times.
“Hearing my name from your mouth wouldn’t change anything John. Now I am not that young naïve Jennie who would have given anything just to hear her name from your mouth. And, anyways, now it doesn’t sound that good, you voice is heavier now.” said Jennie and turned away to walk to the other end of the counter.

“Jennie, only your ears have the ability to weigh my voice in this entire world” said he, picked up the glass, looked at it, “only your ears Jennie.” and he repeated just before laying the rim of Bourbon filled glass upon his lips.

“O so now you are realizing it after all these years?” she returned like a bolt.
“I knew it then too.” replied he in plain voice while the tongue still gathering the taste of the drink in his mouth.
“Then why you whisked away that night, leaving me in the world of not requited questions. All these years I couldn’t decide what should I hate you for, since with you, love too whisked away,” she paused to treat the oozing driblets of tears in her eyes and continued, “You have been cruel to me for leaving me without leaving behind a reason that would have served me in at least hating you.”


To Be Continued ...

Images are the painting of Fabian Perez
Courtesy Google search

No comments:

Post a Comment